Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil
- Price: $2,549
- AGE RANGE:18 to 39 year olds
- ACCOMMODATION: Hostel, Hotel, Sleeper Bus
- MAX GROUP SIZE: 18
- TRANSPORTATION: Local, Plane, Ferry
- TRAVEL STYLE: Discovery, Adventure
- START point: Buenos Aires
- END Point: Rio de Janeiro
- Physical Rating: Active
- Seek out a tango show in vibrant Buenos Aires
- Stay at an Uruguayan ranch and experience rural life
- See rainbows in the spray of the mighty Iguassu Falls
- Fall in love with the colonial facades of waterfront Paraty
- Explore the beaches and trails of beautiful Ilha Grande
- Sample craft beer and take a Capoeira lesson in Rio
Start in Buenos Aires and end in Rio de Janeiro! With the discovery tour In Search of Iguassu–Buenos Aires to Rio, you have a 17 day tour package taking you from Buenos Aires to Rio de Janeiro and through Buenos Aires, Argentina and 8 other destinations in Latin America. In Search of Iguassu–Buenos Aires to Rio is a small group tour that includes accommodation in a hotel and hostel as well as an expert guide, meals, transport and more.
Get your South American rush with other young travellers unafraid to embrace the new. You'll kick off the adventure in sophisticated Buenos Aires before getting back to nature on day hikes at a working Uruguayan ranch. Marvel at Iguassu Falls, then hop on a flight to São Paulo on your way to the Brazilian coast — no gruelling bus ride means more time on the beach. We'll wrap up in the party in Rio, where you're free to embrace the carnival atmosphere from our centrally-located Copacabana hostel.
Day 1: Buenos Aires
Arrive at any time.
- Additional Notes:
Booking pre- or post-trip accommodation is highly recommended to fully experience the cities and take advantage of the optional activities available.
- Included Activities: Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting
Day 2: Buenos Aires
Explore the "Paris of the Americas," from the hidden patios of trendy Palermo to bohemian vibes in San Telmo this city has something for everyone. Pre book a bike tour for a local's view of the city, or opt to pre book a tango experience in a local tanguería and head out to experience the incredible nightlife.
Optional Extras to chose from:
- Buenos Aires Bike Tour
- Buenos Aires Tango Experience
Day 3: Buenos Aires/Colonia
Cross the Río de la Plata by ferry to Colonia, Uruguay. Explore on an orientation walk, then enjoy free time to explore the area and relax at a streetside café.
- Additional Notes: In high season, accommodation may be multi-share.
- Included Activities: Border Crossing (Argentina - Uruguay) Orientation Walk Transport: Ferry (1.00 hour(s))
Day 4: Colonia/Montevideo
Travel from Colonia to Montevideo in the morning. Explore Montevideo in the afternoon; opt to grab a snack at the Port Market, wander around the colourful old town, or visit Estadio Centenario where the first World Cup was played.
- Transport: Local bus (2.50-3.00 hours, 177km)
Day 5: Montevideo
Enjoy another day to get to know Montevideo. Opt to take a day trip to glamorous Punta del Este or chill in the park like a local.
Day 6: Montevideo/Estancia Stay
Travel by day through picturesque settlements and pastures finishing in the last Uruguayan stop—a local ranch, known in the region as an estancia.
- Included Activities: Estancia Stay Transport: Private Vehicle (4.00 hour(s), 250km)
Day 7: Estancia Stay
Spend a day in the life on an Uruguayan ranch, go for a walk in the countryside, learn how to make empanadas, and experience a local barbecue.
- Included Activities: Estancia Stay
Day 8: Estancia Stay/Iguassu Falls (1B)
In the morning cross the border into Gualeguaychu in Argentina, then begin the long overnight journey to Iguassu Falls.
- Included Activities: Border Crossing (Uruguay - Argentina)
- Transport: Overnight bus (16.00-18.00 hours, 868km)
Day 9: Iguassu Falls
In the afternoon opt to visit the Brazilian side of the falls and get an incredible panoramic view. Opt to take a helicopter ride over the falls, visit a bird park or see the Itaipu Dam.
- Included Activities: Border Crossing (Argentina - Brazil)
- Transport: Private Vehicle (1.00-1.50 hours)
Day 10: Iguassu Falls
Today enjoy a full day excursion to the Argentine side of the falls. Wander along the walk paths that connect different viewpoints of the falls. Opt to take a boat tour to see the cascading falls from below.
- Included Activities: Border Crossing (Brazil - Argentina) Iguassu Falls Visit Border Crossing (Argentina - Brazil)
Day 11: Foz do Iguaçu/Paraty
Skipping the long bus ride, we fly to Sao Paulo and head straight to Paraty, a quaint colonial town on the coast renowned for its architecture.
- Additional Notes: In high season, accommodation in Paraty may be multi-share.
- Transport: Plane (1.50 hour(s)) Shared Van (5.00-6.00 hours)
Day 12: Paraty
Paraty is a quaint colonial town renowned for its architecture—the pace might be slow but there's a lot to choose from. Considered one of the world's most important examples of Portuguese colonial architecture by UNESCO, the historic centre is a well-preserved national historic monument, and today has been closed to vehicles to preserve its laid-back colonial ambiance. Opt to take a boat tour of the bay, go on a kayak tour, or a jeep tour.
- Optional Extras to chose from:
Paraty Boat Tour
Day 13: Paraty/Ilha Grande
Travel to the port in Angra dos Reis and catch a boat over to Ilha Grande not far from the coast.
- Additional Notes: In high season, accommodation in Ilha Grande may be multi-share.
- Transport: Local bus (2.00 hour(s), 100km) Ferry (1.50 hour(s))
Days 14: Ilha Grande
Free time to explore the beaches of Ilha Grande. Opt to hike the remote trails, take a boat trip around the island, play in the waves or go snorkelling.
Day 15: Ilha Grande/Rio de Janeiro
Leaving the port after returning from Ilha Grande, a dramatic road then takes us north along the coast through superb scenery before rounding the cliffs at Vidigal. Get a first glimpse of one of the most memorable cities in the world, Brazil’s ocean-side jewel, Río de Janeiro. Enjoy any free time by exploring the wonders that this city has to offer from the centrally located hostel in Copacabana.
- Transport: Ferry (1.50 hour(s)) Local van (3.00-3.50 hours)
Day 16: Rio de Janeiro
In the morning, explore the favela with a local resident to watch a drumming demonstration, get a Capoeira lesson, and sample craft beers with a new perspective of the city. Enjoy a free afternoon to discover all that Rio has to offer.
- Included Activities: Favela Experience
Day 17: Rio de Janeiro
Depart at any time.
- Included Activities: Departure Day
Simple hotels (9 nts, twin-share), hostels (4 nts, multi-share), estancia/ranch (2 nts, multi-share), overnight bus (1 nt).
10 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 2 dinners
This tour offers Jain, Vegetarian, Vegan, Halal and Kosher food options on request. Simply let our Customer Support team know the food option that you prefer.
Local bus, minivan, taxi, plane, ferry, walking.
- Additional Services
Activities while at the estancia in Uruguay. Entrance and visit to the Argentine side of Iguassu Falls. Internal flight. All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
International flights not included.
Insurance is not included. Travel insurance is required for this tour. Please make sure you are adequately covered.
- Buenos Aires Guided City Tour
- Buenos Aires Tango Experience (80USD per person)
- Teatro Colón Tour (250ARS per person)
- La Boca Neighbourhood Visit (20-100ARS per person)
- Buenos Aires Bike Tour (33USD per person)
Colonia La Concordia
- Golf Cart Rental (18USD per person)
- Cycle the Coast (550UYU per person)
- Estadio Centenario Visit (150UYU per person)
- Port Market
- Museo del Carnaval (100UYU per person)
- Viven Museum (Museo Andes 1972)
Punta del Este
- Day Trip to Punta del Este (1400UYU per person)
Foz do Iguaçu
- Iguassu Falls Bird Park Visit (60BRL per person)
- Itaipú Dam Visit (100BRL per person)
- Iguassu Falls (Brazil Side) Guided Tour
- Iguassu Falls Boat Tour (70USD per person)
- Swimming (Free)
- Paraty Bay Boat Tour
- 4x4 Tour (100BRL per person)
- Horseback Riding Paraty (120-150BRL per person)
- Diving Paraty
- Cachaça Distillery Visit (90BRL per person)
- Paraty Boat Tour (100BRL per person)
- Trindade Day Trip (5BRL per person)
- Lopez Mendez Hike
- Swimming (Free)
- Hike to Pico do Papagaio (130BRL per person)
- Ilha Grande Boat Excursion (120BRL per person)
- Snorkelling Ilha Grande
- Ilha Grande Diving
Rio de Janeiro
- Rio de Janeiro City Tour (240BRL per person)
- Rio Football Game (150-200BRL per person)
- Rio Hang Gliding (750BRL per person)
Covering a total distance of approx 2,556 km
- Buenos Aires (Argentina): 55 km
- Colonia del sacramento (Uruguay): 158 km
- Montevideo (Uruguay): 423 km
- Salto (Uruguay): 727 km
- Iguazu Falls (Argentina): 835 km
- Sao Paulo (Brazil): 199 km
- Paraty (Brazil): 51 km
- Ilha Grande (Brazil): 108 km
- Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)